Seite drucken
Stadt Creglingen (Druckversion)

Creglingen town and valleys

Attractions in and around Creglingen

The Lord’s church with Tilman Riemenschneider’s altar of Virgin Mary

The chapel was built in the period 1384 to 1389. It was once a very important church of pilgrimage. Today, it houses four altars, one of which is the altar of Virgin Mary, an internationally famous work by Tilman Riemenschneider, the best known wood sculptor of the late middle ages. This nowadays very famous work of art was created between 1505 and 1510. 

More information:
Protestant Rectory Creglingen
Kirchplatz 2
97993 Creglingen
Tel: 07933 508
Fax: 07933 20032

Thimble museum, Creglingen

Up until the invention of the sewing machine, thimbles were an important accessory for the seamstress but were difficult to manufacture. At the same time thimbles were collector’s items for the upper classes. Ornamental thimbles are very valuable today. New thimbles continue to be produced here and sent to collectors all over the world. 
The museum has approximately 3000 thimbles and other sewing utensils on display. 

More information:
97993 Creglingen
Tel: 07933 370
Fax: 07933 443

Jewish Museum, Creglingen

“Origins and Destinies”, an exhibition oriented towards cultural and social heritage, brings to life the Jewish history of two rural communities in the Tauber valley from the beginning of the 17th century until 1939. There are three sections: the origins and distinctive features of Jewish life in Creglingen and Archshofen, the lives and destinies of the Jewish populace and the living memory of shared history.

A book of remembrance for the victims of the pogroms in 1933 demonstrates vividly the effects of national-socialist race ideology on the lives of individuals.

The Jewish museum is also a place for coming together. Cultural events are staged regularly to promote dealing with the past, mutual understanding and reconciliation.

More information:

Lindlein tower, Creglingen

This museum in miniature is in a tower which dates from the late middle ages and which was a part of the former town fortifications. It illustrates the rich history of the old structure and the life of its last inhabitant, Margarete Böttiger, who lived in the tower for more than six decades. Time has been frozen as far as the furnishing and appointment of the tower is concerned, thus offering a unique insight into life in the last century.

The guided tour is currently only available in German.

Church of a former nunnery, Frauental

Near Creglingen in the valley of the Steinach, there was once an isolated Cistercian nunnery, a foundation bequeathed by the landlords Konrad and Gottfried of Hohenlohe-Brauneck in 1232. The building was constructed in the form of an upper and lower church, which resulted in the uncommonly good acoustics for which the church is famous.

The convent went into decline during the reformation and was partly destroyed during the peasants‘ revolt in the 16th century. The exhibition “From convent to village” shows how the village of Frauental slowly developed.

Notable in the church:

  • The division of the construction into an upper and lower church
  • Ribbed vaulting in the lower church
  • Baroque baptismal font; tomb slabs, arch above the altar
  • Mummies

March-October: Wednesday-Sunday from 2:00 p.m. till 5:00 p.m.
For group visits call 07933 203544 or 07933 203502

More information:
Protestant Rectory Freudenbach
97993 Creglingen
Tel: 07933 502
Fax: 07933 20015

Fire brigade museum, Castle Waldmannshofen

The museum is housed in a former moated castle. It documents the history of fire fighting technology during the last 200 years: fire pumps, international collection of firemen’s helmets, stamps with fire fighting themes, fire fighting equipment, etc.

More information:
The museum is open daily from 10:00 to 12:00 and from 14:00 to 17:00. You can obtain further information by Mrs. Henn, Tel: 09335 674 or Fax: 09335 1883

Celtic fortifications, Burgstall Finsterlohr

The remains of the Celtic settlement in Creglingen extend over some 112 hectares. This is presently the seventh largest known site north of the Alps.

They used a plateau situated above the Tauber and protected naturally on three sides and surrounded this with a ring wall some five km long. This was further fortified on the vulnerable west flank by a wall and trench system. Even after 2000 years the trench and the wall are still clearly visible. A full-scale section of post-slot wall has been reconstructed. This settlement is estimated to have been founded in the second or first centuries B.C. A circular tour around the Oppidum – meaning Celtic town – begins at the flax-breaking hut.

More information: Homepage

Restored flax-breaking hut, Burgstall

Along with wool, flax was the most important fibre for the production of textiles in Europe..

Many steps were necessary before the fibres were separated out of the flax plants. The museum displays the instruments and tools that were used to do this. The building was built in 1780 and flax was processed here until 1926. 

More information: Homepage

Ulrich’s chapel, Standorf

The exceptional feature of this chapel is the octagonal shape of the presbytery. The background to this shape is probably to be found in architectural influence from the Orient. Konrad of Hohenlohe-Brauneck, who is presumed to have built the church, took part in the crusade in 1228-1229 and probably brought back with him the idea for this form for the chapel. The oaken stalls in the presbytery date from 1569.

Other things worth seeing: Various stone tomb slabs and a cross.

More information: Homepage

Scenery in Creglingen valley´s next to the Tauber Valley